Download the PDF Here.
Position Opening for Outreach Officer
Pacific Blue Foundation (PBF) is a Fiji-based Charitable Trust and California-based non-profit founded in 2004. PBF provides research, education, encouragement, and dissemination of sustainable practices in coastal regions with the ultimate goal of preserving and promoting biological and cultural diversity.
Join our dynamic team at PBF to assist the development and implementation of programs, and in particular the Beqa Lagoon Initiative (BLI).
The BLI has been operational since 2017 and is a local community-driven, ecosystem-based management program that focuses on bringing together 10 local Fijian communities, tourism operators, government agencies and academia to build ecosystem resilience through sustainable and integrated co-management of the marine, coastal and terrestrial environments of Beqa Lagoon.
Contract duration: 1 year, full time.
Start date: February, 2020
Closing date for applications: December 31st, 2019.
Location: Based in Beqa Island, with frequent travel to project sites.
- $15,000 – $18,000 annually (commensurate with experience).
- Additionally, the position covers accommodation on-site, all project-related in-country travel expenses, and capped monthly communications expenses (phone and data credit).
Position profile: The Outreach Officer will provide communication support for PBF’s programs with a specific focus on the Beqa Lagoon Initiative. The Outreach officer will contribute to educational materials and activities to improve communication with local communities, schools and resorts. Additionally, the Officer will contribute to the development of broader communication tools such as project reports, social media and promotional publications. The Outreach Officer will work collegiately with the local and international team and will report to the Beqa Lagoon Initiative Project Manager.
- Provide support to the development of educational materials and implementation of educational activities for communities;
- Develop and undertake environmental education activities for school-aged children;
- Make substantive contributions to developing and implementing coastal and marine eco-tourism activities for guests at partnering resorts and visiting groups;
- Provide support in planning, development and implementation of community-based eco-tourism initiatives;
- Coordinate the development of awareness raising materials (posters, leaflets, presentations and short videos) and provide quality assurance oversight to ensure they meet the needs identified, attain a high level of production quality and meet PBF’s guidelines;
- Support the team with socio-economic and ecological research, monitoring and training activities when needed;
- Prepare short reports on activities, and support in project quarterly newsletters and annual reports;
- Work with the BLI team to plan, promote and present all BLI’s programs including workshops, screenings and community productions;
- Support collection of contents, including photography and videography (above and underwater);
- Constantly update the PBF social media portals (i.e. Facebook, Instagram and YouTube) with PBF’s programs, outreach activities, milestones and events;
- Support the development of PBF press releases, for national and international media and on-line outlets;
- Other tasks related to the work and delegated by the Project Manager.
|Attributes||· Ability to work independently, setting targets and managing time;
· Considerable written and verbal communication skills in English and Fijian;
· Considerable communication material design and formatting skills;
· Committed to cultural and biological conservation;
· Ability to work with villagers, school-aged children, university students and tourists;
· A commitment to progressive social change;
· Knowledge of Fijian/Melanesian tradition and culture.
|· Capable of facilitation and organization of events;
· Have a good understanding of current international biodiversity conservation and development issues;
|Qualifications and Experience||· Relevant academic degree in the field of natural resource management, marine science, communications, nature based tourism or equivalent;
· At least two years of working experience in positions relevant to this role;
· Experience in preparing and guiding outreach and educational activities;
· Competent swimmer in marine environments.
|· Experience in marine, coastal and socio-ecological research surveys;
· Experience guiding eco-tourist activities in coral reef environments;
· Experience of working with the local and international marine conservation sector;
· Competent SCUBA diver;
· Possess motor boat license and experience in coral reef boating.
|Behavioral Qualities and Skills||· Team work skills, with the ability to build positive personal and organisational relationships;
· Good time management skills and ability to meet deadlines;
· Self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative;
· Patient, courteous and respectful to indigenous cultures;
· Creative, open minded discerning individual, with excellent attention to detail;
· Strong motivation to work in the non-profit and conservation sector;
· Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing organization.
|· Experience living in remote places;
· Experience working with diverse groups and individuals on sensitive issues, relating to culture and resource management.
Importantly, you would need to provide:
- Recent (last 3 months) police clearance with clean criminal record; 2. Recent (last 3 months) medical check demonstrating you are healthy and in strong medical state, and capable of undertaking the described activities.
You will mostly be living in a staff house, in a Fijian village on Beqa Island.
If you believe you are the best fit for the position, we want to hear from you!
Please send one PDF file named “Outreach Officer Position” to firstname.lastname@example.org containing:
- Cover letter explaining why you believe you are suitable to this position by summarizing your experience and aspirations and using examples from your previous work placements to demonstrate your ability to successfully undertake the main duties of the position (2 pages);
- Contacts of two professional referees
- Only short-listed applicant will be contacted