Project Manager – The Beqa Lagoon Initiative
Pacific Blue Foundation (PBF) is a Fiji-based Charitable Trust and California-based non-profit founded in 2004. PBF provides research, education, encouragement, and dissemination of sustainable practices in coastal regions with the ultimate goal of preserving and promoting biological and cultural diversity.
PBF is seeking an experienced project manager with the ability to work with local community groups and diverse stakeholders to lead the implementation of the Beqa Lagoon Initiative (BLI) – a local community-driven seascape management program that brings together 10 local Fijian communities, tourism operators, industry, government agencies and academia, to develop and implement sustainable development and management of marine, coastal and terrestrial environments of the Beqa Lagoon.
The BLI operates through four strategic Pillars: 1) Vanua – People, Land, Culture and Spirituality; 2) Yaubula – natural resources’ and environmental management; 3) Green Schools – healthy school environments; and 4) Blue Communities – sustainable community and green/blue economy development.
Contract duration: 2 years, full time (3-month probation).
Position start date: April 1, 2022.
Location: Based in PBF’s Suva office, with frequent travel to project sites in the Beqa Lagoon Seascape.
Remuneration: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Closing date for applications: March 1, 2022.
Position reports to: BLI Program Director.
Position’s supervisor reports to: President – PBF.
Staff this position is responsible for: (existing positions) Environmental Officer, Community Engagement Officer, and (near future positions) Agriculture Officer, Aquaculture Officer, Communications Officer.
Key responsibilities of position
- Manages and coordinates the implementation of BLI projects and activities, the supervision and oversight of other project staff, consultants and experts.
- Provides leadership, supervision and mentoring to the BLI field team and works collaboratively with PBF international management team.
- Leads the development and implementation of work plans to ensure the achievement of project milestones and deliverables within agreed timeframes.
- Monitors and reports on project implementation, performance and provides accountability to set project timelines, budgets and outputs.
- Develops community governance and conservation agreements, including legally binding trusts and cooperatives, to ensure ongoing implementation of the BLS marine and land protected area network management plans.
- Leads the development of BLI’s community development and training program and delivers training, workshops and community education modules as required.
- Coordinate and implement socio-economic research, data analysis and development of technical reports.
- Provides policy advice and technical support to BLI’s stakeholders in generating social and blue-green economy opportunities, in particular market-based solutions to improve community well-being, economic progress, and environmental sustainability.
- Represent PBF at external meetings, forums and events and build alliances with key external stakeholders critical to project success.
- Contribute to external and internal communications, and preparing and presenting relevant promotional and marketing material.
- Contributes to workplace policies and procedures and other tasks at the direction of the BLI Program Director
- Develops new ideas for grant proposals and leads in preparing and submitting applications.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must be able to meet all the essential criteria and demonstrate the necessary skills to effectively fulfil the key responsibilities of the position outlined above.
- Proven leadership skills with demonstrated ability to achieve goals and manage complex projects.
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications in relevant fields of law, business development, economic, natural science or other relevant disciplines.
- Proven experience in staff supervision and performance management.
- Experience in leading workshops and training programs.
- Demonstrated experience in liaising, negotiating and co-operating with government officials, municipal authorities, academic institutions, NGOs and the private sector.
- Excellent knowledge of the structures, practices and procedures governing local government and municipal work relevant to Fiji.
- Considerable understanding of current international biodiversity conservation and development issues.
- Experience in socio-economic research and data analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience in working with diverse groups and individuals on sensitive issues, relating to culture, religion and resource management.
- Fluent written and verbal English and Fijian.
- Confident with iTaukei traditional protocols.
- Willingness to spend significant amounts of time in the field.
- Proven team player, self-motivated and able to work autonomously, with minimal supervision.
- Previous experience in the global conservation, NGO, advocacy or related non-for-profit arena; preferably related to natural resource management and marine protected areas.
- Strong international network in relevant sectors, including conservation, policy, business and academia.
- Strong background in political and community governance, policy and law.
- Experience in sustainable business development.
- Experience in the tourism sector, focused on co-management and community-based ecotourism.
- Experience in environmental (terrestrial) research and statistical analysis.
If you believe you are the best fit for the position, we would love to hear from you!
- Please send a PDF file containing: 1) current CV/resume; 2) cover letter describing how you fulfil the position requirements based on your experience; and, 3) contact details (email address essential) of three professional referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the title “Project Manager Application”, by March 1, 2022.
- Importantly, to obtain the position you would need to provide: 1) clean police/criminal record; 2) recent (last 3 months) medical check demonstrating you are healthy and in strong medical state, and capable of undertaking all needed activities.